Although some risk factors cannot be controlled (like family history), you can decrease the risk of diabetes by following a healthy diet. Nutrition plays a major role in diabetes prevention; therefore, it is important to keep in mind the kind of food you are eating and make the right food choices.
The first step is getting rid of excess weight by consuming less calories and smaller food portions; this improves the insulin sensitivity in your body. Some other steps to lower the risk of diabetes include:
- Adopting a diet reduced in carbohydrate
- Consuming less highly processed and fatty foods
- Introducing more high fiber foods in your diet
- Avoiding sweets and refined carbohydrates
- Avoiding juices (fresh or packaged) and sugar sweetened beverages