- Around 50 % of people living with diabetes don’t know they have it.
- High levels of blood glucose affect blood vessels. Damage to capillaries might start while the person is still not diagnosed with diabetes. This is particularly true with eye complications (example retinopathy) which could be the trigger for discovering a diabetes diagnosis.
- In order to avoid such a serious problem, you are encouraged to check your blood glucose periodically especially if you carry some of the risk factors like a family member with diabetes or have excess weight.
- Checking your blood glucose at random time could be useful in catching any abnormal reading as early as possible.
- It is recommended that you visit your family physician to discuss your diabetes risk, or do a diabetes risk score and receive the appropriate advice.