Living with uncontrolled diabetes means that the nerves and vessels could be affected. That is why it is important to keep your diabetes under control and keep a regular annual checkup on the foot with the physician, foot care specialist or diabetes educator to ensure that nerves are not affected and blood circulation is healthy
Below are some important tips to remember in order to protect your foot:
- Examine your feet on daily basis for cuts, blisters, blushers, color changes, swelling, in-grown toenails and sores.
- Wear proper comfortable footwear inside and outside home
- Check inside the shoes for stones, sharp objects and rough places before putting them on.
- Wash your feet and between the toes and dry it carefully to avoid fungal infection.
- Use foot cream or lotion to keep your skin soft and protect your feet from dryness and cracking to prevent infections